Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Media convergence, within globalization

Hi everyone!

Long time no update since my last blog post. But I thought I'd let you all in on what I've been up to in my Mass Communication course at Hamline University. As of right now we are working on our second critique of a scholarly article. The article I chose to critique was titled Neoliberal restructuring of the global communication system: mergers and acquisitions written by Dal Yon Jin. I chose to chose this article because I am also in a Global Studies class here at Hamline and I found that this article incorporated aspects of each class and connected them, which is really cool!

I will give you all a brief summary to the article I read. The article discusses the communication industry after the creation of both the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and the creation of the World Trade Organization (WTO) in 1995. Both the legislation and this organization were created to open up the markets. After this the media and communication industries saw consolidation, meaning that the more powerful companies bought out the smaller ones so a small group of a few companies owned all the media and communication companies. Jin looked at these mergers and acquisitions of companies and watched their success from 1998 to 2007 and found that 68% percent of the companies he observed failed or de-converged, or split up.

Jin then predicted that now we will see a trend of de-convergence in the media industry, rather than convergence which is still the common trend within media industry. Jin's conclusion is very interesting and different, and I don't know whether or not I agree but he does a wonderful job at presenting his conclusion! I'm going to give you guys some more information on this topic soon!

-Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment